Hats off to the housewives!

Thank God that in India we have some sanity in form of the judiciary. Census 2001 categorizes housewives, prostitutes and other women who are not working in the organized sector as 'unproductive'. I wonder at the greatness of such minds! Haven't they seen the amount of work their mothers or grand mothers do in the house. Who would offer service 24X7 365 days (add one more for the leap year) without taking a pittance? Right from morning till late in the night, the women in the house see to it that all the residents' needs are fulfilled without thinking of their own troubles. I am a working woman and I openly say that I am more callous than my grand mother who was a non-working woman; my work does not allow me to give my family the same kind of time and attention that my grand mother devoted to her family. I live in a nuclear family and get irritated if things do not happen the way I want them to. My mother and grand mother lived in joint families and worked to keep all happy and satisfied. They took care not just of their own kids but also of the other kids in the family. Hats off to the women who make us what we are! Hats off to them for giving us the best in life without asking for anything in return!

Comments

priyanka said…
It's so stupid of the people who thought housewives to be unproductive! A housewife does cooking, cleans the house, washes clothes.. A person who doesn't get enough time to do these household works would have to pay a large amount of money to get all these works done by a professional. A housewife infact saves a large amount of money. I think it would have been better if she charged money for every work that she did. Then no one would have dared call her unproductive.
I have a problem with the word housewife. Does it by any chance mean wife of a house?
Anonymous said…
It is a 'job' alloted to all the wives by our patriarchal society to look after their husbands(pati parmeshwar). And who looks after the house the best? so... :)
Anonymous said…
Not just money, a wife/mother/sister/daughter makes a house good enough to be called a home. Of course an erratic male would ruin that home so its his job also to be level headed enough not to destroy the 'home'.

Popular posts from this blog

I need a break.....

Honour Killings or Dishonour Killings?

Net the NET